Skip to main content

tv   Piers Morgan Tonight  CNN  March 16, 2012 9:00pm-10:00pm PDT

9:00 pm
hi, america. i'm arsenio hall in for piers morgan. remember this moment from my show, "the arsenio hall show"? that was a moment that changed the way we elect our president. tonight i want to talk to a man who covered that presidential race and every one since. cnn's amazing john king. also, a verdict in the hate crimes trial that shocked america. >> did commit the offense of invasion of privacy knowing the conduct would cause t.c. to be
9:01 pm
intimidated because of sexual orientation. not guilty or guilty? >> guilty. >> and i'm talking to a sports legend has's also a good friend of my. a star so great -- he could only be called magic. the great magic johnson. he's here with his wife cookie, and we're going to talk about how this changed both of their lives. >> because of -- the hiv virus that i have attained, i will have to retire from the lakers. plus, tonight, only in america. presidential bracketology explained. this is arsenio hall tonight. good evening. i'm arsenio hall in for piers morgan. our big story tonight is the verdict in the tyler clementi
9:02 pm
case. the rutgers university freshman who killed himself in 2010 after he learned that his roommate had used a hidden web cam to spy on his sexual encounter with another man. and today that roommate, dharun ravi was convicted on most of the charges. joining me to talk about the case that shocked the nation, attorney lisa bloom and dr. drew pinsky host of cnn's "dr. drew." let's start legally. take the nation through this decision. >> it's a fairly complicated decision. 15 counts allege he was found guilty of most of the 15. what the jury will to do, look at a set of facts that was pretty clear. we know from the technological evidence, about the tweets, e-mail, where the computer and web cam was, we know the defendant put a webcam unbenoens td to the victim in the dorm room and videotaped him having sex with another man but he e-mailed about it, tweeted about it and a lot of negative language about again men.
9:03 pm
all very clear. the hard thing for the jury, get inside the mind ever the defendant, mr. ravi and get inside the mind of the victim, mr. clementi. they have to do that in criminal law all the time and it's difficult. the jury said we can't say mr. ravi intended a hate crime but we can say mr. clementi received it it as a hate crime so he was found guilty on a number of biased crimes and invasion of privacy. he's looking at up to ten years behind bars now. >> i keep hearing about him being sent back to india. >> he can be deported. he was offered a plea deal several months ago where he would only have to do community service, get counseling and the state would try to prevent him from being deported. that was denied. and now as he's kwicted of felonies, he is facing deportation. >> dr. drew, look at the dad. check out this clip.
9:04 pm
>> to our college, high school and even middle school youngsters i would say this -- you're not necessarily going to -- you're going to meet a lot of people in your lifetime. some of these people you may not like. but just because you don't like them, does not mean you have to work against them. when you see somebody doing something wrong, tell them. that's not right. stop it. >> that's tyler clementi's dad. do you think he will feel justice was served? >> oh, i do. the fact is that he was really found guilty of just about everything. legal nuance there was aspects where he was acquitted, but the reality is the jury spoke and it's pretty clear they held him accountable for what he did. what i like about what mr. clementi said, it's no longer okay to be a screwball in college. a lot of screwballs doing screwbali things. i hope i'm clear enough using this language. when we hurt other people it's not okay, and you, everyone else, who's around the screwball, no other word to use tonight, but have to speak up as
9:05 pm
well. because co-mission will be held accountable here as well. speak up when you see something doing something wrong. by the way, let me say something sympathetic towards mr. ravi, if one of his friends had spoken up he wouldn't be in this position. it might have made him think twice about what he was doing. listen, these are kids. need to shake them and think about what they're doing. no one did that. most felt uncomfortable, participated in some degree or another and as a result we have this verdict. >> did ravi the tweets nail him? >> i think they did. when he says, this is my roommate, with a dude. yeah. that indicates he's anti-gay and let's keep in mind, lg bt hate crimes, they have a real epidemic. epidemic of teen suicide from gay and lesbian people. we have to be sensitive to this. somebody might like at it, a kid being a screwball fooling around online.
9:06 pm
the consequences, of this kashgs speaks loudly. >> that's the message tonight. which is that this is not something that can be taken casually, can sit back and wait on these issues. literally costing people's lives. the bullying going on in social media and through the internet is not just unpleasant. it has real world consequences, and you know, i think a lot of messages have been sent today. >> when we look back one day at this like it was brown versus the board of education for social media? will this be a precedent? >> it's a trial decision. not a supreme court decision. i hope everyone will see this as a wake-up call. online bullying is not okay. we have a far, long way to go in terms of education, for tolerance, for lgbt folks. a top violinist, a promising future who took his own life
9:07 pm
because he was so humiliateed by his roommate. >> we said his name wrong. tyler clementi. >> did you say roberto clemente? i want to paraphrase what lisa just said, arsenio. no. because i think that we are going to have to go through this and through this and through this unfortunately. this is not the first time, it's not the last time. it's a nice clear message. i've dealt with this on my show regularly. bullying issue. it's not the first finding of guilt in this regard but it's an important one and i think one we will point as as part of the turning at the top. >> jersey law is different than most states regarding this. explain. >> most states have hate crime laws. jersey is a little complicated, because of what i just talked about. you have to get inside the mind of the defendant, get inside the mind ever of the victim. a lot of elements. everybody be clear, hate crimes are illegal everywhere whether based on race, genter, sexual
9:08 pm
orientation, religion or gender. this is a very important issue for the country, and i urge parents who are concerned about this case to talk to your kids. what kind of language are you using about your schoolmates? what do you think is a joke? snag can be very harmful to somebody. >> by the way, this leaked over into how people speak about women bp those story, in the press constantly. how people are referring to women. whether it's the right or left. awful language directed at women these days. >> rush limbaugh. >> the latest version. but a lot of horrible, horrible language. >> and bill maher on the other side. >> true. and women i don't think speak up loudly about it. >> i'm pretty loud. >> talking about lgbt issues. >> nobody accuses me of not being loud. >> when you get right down to it, you're right. >> i'm the father of a 12-year-old. kids who are bullied, kids who are bullies what should we as parents be telling our children? >> the most importance thing i tell parents, not what they tell themselves. don't ever tell yourself, not my
9:09 pm
kid. no matter what the issue is. it can be your kid. we can't imagine it's our kid. don't want to believe it's our kid. it can be our kid. we have to be listen lent. we have to do the job of parenting. whether it's shaping their value system, how they relate to substances, or how they talk about other people. it is really important. keep in mind, by the way, the ones that aren't bullied sometimes become the bullier and vice versa and so if you at one time are defending your kid against bullying keep an eye on that kid, because tables might turn one day. >> a specific example for parents, actually wrote a book called "swagger" coming out in two months. >> very good. i read it. >> i implore parents to get the user name and password for every account that your kid has. whether facebook -- >> she's right. because, listen, the internet becomes, then, your friend. you can be a source of information, it's a way to monitor kids while if they're out there on their own, it's like putting them out in the world at a younger age.
9:10 pm
>> as an attorney, the state can't go on people's private facebook pages or twitter page, but parents k. and should. >> and parents have the obligation to go on. you might find out, for example, child forbid, your complied is suicidal. bet urry find it out now. that your child is bullying. you can have a conversation with your kid. >> and a little note for parents. parents don't want to hear this. go downstream and hear how other kids are talking about your kid. keep going. tons ever information on the internet but you must be internet save. educate yourself. >> don't sneak around. tell your kid, yes, you can have a facebook account but i'm going on any time i want. if you don't like it you don't have to have a facebook account. you would not allow your child to wonder around the globe at 17 or 18. they should not be allowed to roam around the world wide. >> we any opportunity parents have to talk about how serious this mats matter is, look what's going to happen to mr. ravi. he'll be in prison, this is not a casual matter.
9:11 pm
somebody's dead. somebody's going to prison that fleeds to be addressed. >> this follows mr. ravi the rest of his life. he may not be able to vote. may be ineligible for student loans a lot of jobs. this is going to have consequences, literally, for the rest of his life. >> is thas rumor? did ravi try to apologize but we think the message never got to clementi? >> he -- there's some conversation he had with him that still is unknown. >> there was an e-mail. >> yeah, but we don't think that tyler clementi received it. >> and he intended -- there's all this information about him feeling remorse or at least alleges remorse, but never -- never really getting it to mr. clementi. >> yeah. tyler clementi's e-mail he was going to jump off the george washington bridge was a format. >> thank you both. this is what i needed. refocus. >> so nice to have you here at cnn. come back.
9:12 pm
>> i'll do cue cards even if they don't give me a job to come back to this position. when i come back here with you, one on one with magic johnson and his love pli wife cookie johnson. they're first interview together outside their home. [ lisa ] my first car by lisa b. my mom got a new car, so they stored her old car in a barn until i was old enough to drive. my parents put mothballs in the trunk to keep the critters out. they didn't realize that the smell would never leave the car. i went to school smelling like my grandma every day. i didn't care. i loved it. [ male announcer ] animate and share your first car story at firstcarstory.com. courtesy of the 2012 subaru impreza. experience love that lasts. ♪ in here, the landscaping business grows with snow. to keep big winter jobs on track, at&t provided a mobile solution that lets everyone from field workers to accounting, initiate, bill, and track work in real time.
9:13 pm
you can't live under a dome in minnesota, that's why there's guys like me. [ male announcer ] it's a network of possibilities -- helping you do what you do... even better. ♪ the priceline negotiator went down in that fiery bus crash. yes i was. we lost a beautiful man that day. but we gained the knowledge that priceline has thousands and thousands of hotels on sale every day. so i can choose the perfect one for me without bidding. is it hard for you to think back to that day? oh my, this one has an infinity pool. i love those they just... and then drop off, kinda like the negotiator.
9:14 pm
only hertz gives you a carfirmation. hey, this is challenger. i'll be waiting for you in stall 5. it confirms your reservation and the location your car is in, the moment you land. it's just another way you'll be traveling at the speed of hertz. agents, when it comes to insurance, people feel lost. that's a dead end. don't know which way to turn. this way. turn around. [ woman ] that's why we present people with options to help them find coverage that fits their needs. almost there. whoo! yay! good work. that's a new maze record. really? i have no idea. we don't keep track of that kind of stuff. well, you should. [ male announcer ] we are insurance. ♪ we are farmers ♪ bum, ba-da-bum, bum, bum, bum ♪ will be giving away passafree copies of the alcoholism & addiction cure. to get yours, go to ssagesmalibubook.com.
9:15 pm
i'm arsenio hall filling in for piers. now my exclusive interview with the man, the legend, flba superstar magic johnson. everybody knows he's a good friend of mine and he's here with his better half. the lovely, the talenteded, the denim queen cookie johnson. how you guys doing? >> real g. doesn't she look wonderful, man? >> she's beautiful. i'm so happy she's here. this is really our first time -- >> doing an interview like this? >> doing an interview. it's really great. and for pup just for you. it's great you're back in the saddle. i love this. >> well, let's start at the beginning, with you two. how did you meet? >> well, we at a party, at a club, and we had just finished final exams. so we were both, wanted to just have a good time before we went -- before the christmas break, and you know, i was standing on
9:16 pm
the wall. she -- and there was a young lady she was with, who had a class with me. and she introduced both of us, and i sort of watched her in those jeans. you know, looking all good, and she was on the dance floor, arsenio, tearing the dance floor up. >> what was the dance back then? >> back then, you go to the freak or go down to the floor, and she could really do it. >> really? she could drop it like it was hot before you were dropping it like it was hot? >> exactly. so i watched her the whole night. you want to take it from there, baby? >> well, after we met, we went on our separate ways d. he have a specific reputation as a ladies' man? >> not yet. [ laughter ] it was freshman year. he had just got there. so, no. not yet. >> but that night -- she was just awesome, and --
9:17 pm
>> what was it about her specifically? was it the conversation. obviously she was fine, and you've mentioned the jeans. >> yes. >> but what was it about, that conversation? >> i think, arsenio it was just the way she carried herself. >> right. >> and, yeah. well, she was definitely that. and i found that out quickly, but as -- she was leaving, i asked her for her phone number, and she gave it to me, and then as soon as the first day we got back at school, because she kept saying, you're not going to call me. >> that's the thing he's leaving out. we never spoke again that night. okay? except for at the very end. he never asked plea to dance. he never said anything else to me. he never even came near me. i was with my other friends. i had a good time, because i'm from detroit. i love to dance. you know? so that was my thing. i like to dance. so i was out with my friends dancing and at the end of the evening the lights cull on you know the club is closing, i was about to leave and help was there behind me sitting there.
9:18 pm
as i walked by and said, nice meeting you. that's when he said, well, hey, can i get your phone number? and i laughed at him. because, you haven't said one word to me all night. you know? >> but i watched you. >> what kind of game was that? why did you play it that way? >> well, you know. >> i want to hear you tell her and the world. >> i had to be cool. i had to just lay back. not sure that i really was watching her all night. i had to just -- lay back. let all the other guys think that -- i should say think that they had a shot at her when i knew this is going to be my girl. you know? and oh -- sure enough, first day, and -- arsenio, i had one suit in my closet and i pulled it out. >> with a reversible jacket. >> really? they made a reversible jacket? >> plaid on one side and solid on the other. >> i pulled that suit out, dusted it off and took her on a real date.
9:19 pm
>> a real date is like going to par buy's or something, burger king but he actually took me to a real restaurant. yeah, he did. it was great. >> wa there's a magical moment gentleman moment where you looked at him, and felt -- i could go the distance with this man? >> well, you know what it was -- you know, i was very nervous about it, because, of course, he was the big man on campus, and i really didn't know much about him, but when we met, we would -- we would talk. it was very easy conversation. and it was, like, we knew each ear for a long time. you know? and so it was very comfortable. it was nothing to be nervous about. it was, like, old friends. and -- that's when i knew -- i mean, this is good. this could be really good. >> yeah. >> because, sometimes you meet people and they're really hard to get the conversation started. you're like, pulling teeth to -- you know? you just don't have that comfort level.
9:20 pm
>> i've seen millionaire matchmaker. it's brutal sometimes. it's work. >> it definitely is. >> and it was very comfortable. >> it was great, because we became really good friends as well as, you know, we were dating as boyfriend and girlfriend. so -- >> so there's a point when he leaves the midwest and comes to hollywood. was there ever a conversation where you thought about going to hollywood? i know you were inlt sales, at a department store. correct? back then? >> yeah. i was an intern. because my path was to be a buyer. that's when i was studying in michigan state, to be a buyer. so after i graduated, he left two years into college. so i stayed to finish, and when he left, we had broke up when he left anyway. when he left. there was a lot of breaking up in between there. so it was not this -- fairy tale love story. it wasn't that. it was real. it was real. >> at one point engaged and called it off. >> twice. >> twice, yes. >> do you remember either of the reasons for consulting the engagement off? >> yes.
9:21 pm
>> he was going with the publicist answer and said, yes. yes. >> yes, i do. >> a woman always remembers. remember that. >> what did he do? wrong? >> what did he do wrong? >> what did he do wrong? he didn't do anything wrong. he got scared. >> i was married to basketball. >> he got scared, and, you know, he was such an intense player, it just -- he had these rituals. he had to be alone before the game. he had to do this, and he was worried if i moved there, i would move into his world, and i would disrupt, you know, what, the concentration he for basketball. and even though he loved me and wanted me there, it was something about that that scared him. that he wouldn't be able to be the player that he was, and be married at the same time. >> i'll tell you something else. i always feel that l.a. ruins good women. you're the only woman i know that's been out here for 20 years, and still, we love her. >> yes. >> we're going to take a quick
9:22 pm
commercial break, and come back and talk about how this city and many things that went on in this city changed your lives forever. but helped us as a nation and as a world. we'll be right back. ♪
9:23 pm
[ kareem ] i was fascinated by balsa wood airplanes since i was a kid. [ mike ] i always wondered how did an airplane get in the air. at ge aviation, we build jet engines. we lift people up off the ground to 35 thousand feet. these engines are built by hand with very precise assembly techniques. [ mike ] it's going to fly people around the world. safely and better than it's ever done before. it would be a real treat to hear this monster fire up. [ jaronda ] i think a lot of people, when they look at a jet engine, they see a big hunk of metal. but when i look at it, i see seth, mark, tom, and people like that who work on engines every day. [ tom ] i would love to see this thing fly.
9:24 pm
[ kareem ] it's a dream, honestly. there it is. oh, wow. that's so cool! yeah, that was awesome! [ cheering ] [ tom ] i wanna see that again. ♪ my name is lacey calvert and i'm a yoga instructor. if i have any soreness, i'm not going to be able to do my job. but once i take advil, i'm able to finish out strong. it really works! [ laughs ] [ male announcer ] make the switch. take action. take advil.
9:25 pm
9:26 pm
because of -- the hiv virus that i have attained, i will have to retire from the lakers. i plan on going on, living for a long time. bugging you guys like i always have. so you'll see me around. >> that was the moment in 1991 when magic johnson's life changed forever, but nobody could have predicted then that he'd still be sitting with us today, and at the top of his business game. magic is with me along with his lovely wife cookie. you all are the only people i've ever interviewed that use nicknames all the time. i've never heard you call her irleitha. am i saying it right? named after -- your dad, and -- so i use nicknames. cookie and magic. where were you when he first
9:27 pm
told you that he was hiv positive? >> we were at home in our office, in our den area, yes. >> so he didn't call you and warn you? he just came home to make the announcement? >> he called me and said that i'm on my way home, which i was like, what? i just sat down to watch him. the game was about to call. >> you're getting a call from someone who who should be going lay layups? >> yes. a girlfriend was over, we got our food together and were going to watch the game. he said i'm on my way home. what do you marine? that scared me. he said, i'll tell you when i get home. >> what was that ride like, to give her this news? >> arsenio, the worst ride of my life, because when you make a mistake, it actually hurts other people. you know? and i was about to hurt the woman that i loved. my best friend.
9:28 pm
>> uh-huh. >> a person who had been in my corner through everything. thick and thin. and so to deliver this devastating news, and, also, i was worried about her own health and then our son e.j., she was pregnant with our son at that time. >> now, you had just found out like two days ago? >> yeah. literally days before. >> so i was scared to death of both our own health and the baby's health. so it was -- it was the toughest ride to come, drive that far, to tell her some -- some terrible news, and not knowing, also, how she's going to react to the news. and so -- i give her a lot of credit, you know. i sat her down and i told her that i had hiv, and it was a tough moment there for both of us. >> now, that moment, you'll never forget that moment. right, cookie? >> no. >> that exact moment. do you remember how you reacted?
9:29 pm
the gossip and the grapevine was that you slapped him? a sleeper hold, a -- what did you do in that moment when he said it to you? >> well, first of all, i was like, devastated. i had to pick myself up off the floor. because i was like, what? people joked about it, but nobody really you knew really had it. >> in the movie -- espn 3030s announcement i think there's a moment where you joked and said, i thought maybe you wanted a divorce. i didn't know what he was coming to tell me. >> right. i had no idea. we had such a hard time, back and forth, engagement, getting married. oh, my god? what had se coming to tell me this time? but, no. it was scary. it was very scary, but, no. he said to me, if you don't want to stay, i totally understand. you know? because of, you know, what happened, and i'm totally to blame for this and that's where wen i just kind of tapped him on his face. i call it a love tap.
9:30 pm
it wasn't a knock out. >> like a "days of our lives" love tap? >> a little harder than that. >> did you even feel it? >> oh, yeah. i felt it. well, i felt her emotions, and we both started to cry at that time, you know, and understanding that we didn't know what was going to happen. the fear. but, you know, cookie's a -- a christian woman. so she said, let's pray about it, and -- >> did you really -- >> yeah. we got on our ne knees at that moment, and we prayed, yes. >> and so and then we had to then -- i told her, we had tomorrow, the next day, to go get the tests. so we could see if she had it. >> and find out if e.j. >> that's right. if the baby had it. >> that was the longest seven, eight days of our lives, and once dr. ho, they dliv ared the good news that she was okay, the baby was okay, and, arsenio that
9:31 pm
she felt the love in her heart to stay with me. >> the acclaimed researcher in this country? >> right. dr. malman did the test, delivered the news and then dr. ho returned to him. he was the one who really made me feel comfortable and helped me understand what i had to go through to live for the next 20 years. >> and, by the way, all of this happened, because of an insurance medical test? >> yeah. we had changed my -- made an adjustment to my contract. >> uh-huh. >> so because of that, the insurance company wanted to make sure i was healthy. so thank god they did. >> absolutely. >> early detection actually saved my life, i think, and they got me on the medicine right away, and it's been great. >> by the way i hope that didn't slide in one ear and out of the other ear in america right now, because early detection is the reason you are here right now. it's the reason you and i can
9:32 pm
tell people that these days, you can live with aids and not die from aids. live with an hiv positive status and not die from it. >> exactly. we urge people to get tested so they can know their status and then if the status is hiv, you can go get on a regimen and your doctor can put you on something that can prolong your life. so we've had a, a long and great life, you know, for 20 years after that. but, arsenio it was tough times in the beginning, because we had to make a lot of big decisions. so once we found out cookie and the baby was okay, the next step was to find somebody who was living with it, and my agent at that time hooked me up with elizabeth glacier and we owe her a lot. >> she was married to the gentleman from "starsky & hutch." >> exactly. and she was dying at that time. and so she told me, i was going to be okay.
9:33 pm
i was going to be here for a long time, because there was great drugs coming down the pipeline. but she also said, look, we need a face. and you need to become the face of this disease now. and i told her that i would. and then she talked to cookie, which was really good. you know? had a conversation, that conversation helped her in terms of how to deal with -- >> in terms of living with a person with hiv and aids and being that caretaker of that person. you know, basically she was just saying you know, they need you more than you think. you know? just -- just your, you know -- you taking care of them and knowing that you're there and that you still love them and that -- you know, you're not leaving them means a lot, because you know, you feel like everyone deserts at this point in time. >> i know he's had conflict with friends who are no longer friends now. did you lose friends? >> no -- not really. i didn't. i didn't. >> never a, an argument? >> there were problems. you know?
9:34 pm
like one time it was a very good friend of mine, the kids were little. e.j. was probably 2, and he bit another child, and that friend reacted like oh, my god. >> oh. >> do we need to go to the doctor? i'm like, no, no, no. he doesn't have that. it's okay. i went through a little of that, but i didn't lose a friend over that, because i kind of understood that people would react a little like that, so it didn't hurt my feelings that much. you know what i mean? >> it's aplaysing. education is so important. ignorance seems to be at the root of every problem you had. magic johnson is here with cookie. when we come back, we'll talk business, linsanity. i got my friends here, y'all. americans believe they should be in charge of their own future. how they'll live tomorrow. for more than 116 years, ameriprise financial has worked for their clients' futures. helping millions of americans retire on their terms.
9:35 pm
when they want. where they want. doing what they want. ameriprise. the strength of a leader in retirement planning. the heart of 10,000 advisors working with you one-to-one. together for your future. ♪ the only reason you got me was for basketball. but for today's game, i'm a little... [ neck cracks ] fuzzy. so you tried to fix me. but you just made me loose. newsflash. if you have cut rate insurance you might not be covered for this. so get allstate and protect your house and car from mayhem like me. [ dennis ] dollar for dollar, nobody protects you from mayhem like allstate. chocolate lemonade ? susie's lemonade... the movie. or... we make it pink ! with these 4g lte tablets, you can do business at lightning-fast speeds.
9:36 pm
we'll take all the strawberries, dave. you got it, kid. we have a winner. we're definitely gonna need another one. small businesses that want to grow use 4g lte technology from verizon. i wonder how she does it. that's why she's the boss. because the small business with the best technology rules. contact the verizon center for customers with disabilities at 1-800-974-6006. with determination. courage. and all the points i earned with my citi thankyou card. [ male announcer ] the citi thankyou card. redeem points for travel on any airline with no blackout dates. the sleep number bed. the magic of this bed is that you're sleeping on something that conforms to your individual shape. wow! that feels really good. in less than a minute i can get more support. if you change your mind once you get home you can adjust it. so whatever you feel like, the sleep number bed's going to provide it for you. at our semi-annual sleep sale, save $400 to $700 on our most popular bed sets. plus, free standard shipping - but only
9:37 pm
through march 18th! only at the sleep number store, where queen mattresses start at just $699
9:38 pm
the bird, bird a three-pointer. >> bird fires it. >> off of larry bird. >> he got it. five seconds left. down the middle, just what i shot. a hook shot -- good! two seconds left, the lakers take the lead on magic johnson's -- >> that was magic johnson and larry bird, game four of the 1987 playoffs. magic and cookie, sitting with
9:39 pm
me. still to this day, you smile and you do things like this when you watch that clip. huh? >> yeah. i mean, i hate the celtics. you know? i don't want them to win, man, and larry and i have a great relationship, but anytime you play against the celtics and you were around all of those times and with me when i hit the shot so that i could go crazy that we won the championship and you were around when i lost and was in the locker room crying, but those were great moments and larry made me a better player and i hope i made him a better player. i was blessed to play with the lakers, we were blessed to win five championships. a great shot for the lakers. went to the finals nine out of 12 years. truly amazing. >> truly insanity. >> bird, a funny -- i saw him in the courtship of rivals and now a broadway play? i can't even imagine a
9:40 pm
magic/bird play? is it a musical? ♪ i'm going to throw a no-look pass that way ♪ tell me about this play? >> well, it's going to be a play about larry and i, our life on the basketball court and away from the court as well. nobody really knows that story, away from the court. and it's going to be, you know, a character with red auerbach in it, it's going to be different guys, pat riley, on and on and on. really a great play. it's going to open april 11th, and we both still can't believe it. we both pinch each other, like, can you believe i'm a kid from lansing, michigan, black kid from lansing, michigan and you're a white kid from -- and they're going to bring us together on broadway? this is truly amazing. >> i'd like a still shot of you and larry pinching each other. one of those for the next interview. >> you used to seeing us elbow each other. >> yes, indeed. yes, indeed. okay.
9:41 pm
we got the play coming along. you're into everything. into -- i mean, i go in restaurants, and when my food ain't right i'm always happy because i know magic owns most restaurants. it's cool to be your friend. lately we've talked basketball. surprised me. you're a basketball legend. what makes you look in the opposite direction from that sport and say, i want that now? >> i think, arsenio, i'm a big baseball fan. i always have been back watching the detroit tigers, back at home in lansing, michigan, and all the way to now. a big dodger fan. so baseball is a game that i love. i love to be in the ballpark. i love to just go in and enjoy a great baseball game, a great pitchers' duel. so -- with the dodgers being up for sale, we put a great group together, and we're just going to see what happens. you know? there's not a lot i can say right now but at least we're in
9:42 pm
the final four, and i'm hoping that i get that opportunity to not only now be a fan but also be an owner. >> they say your group is in the lead as far as those eligible. i want to get to cookie being an entrepreneur. you had this incredible c.j. by cookie business. denim woven with self-esteem. where did that come from? >> i created this jean for women with curves. women with curves had a hard time in the previous world trying to find a jean to fit. that was my problem and the main reason i created these jeans because i couldn't find a pair of jeans that fit me, that were you know, the "it" pair of jeans. the 7s, the j brands, all of those brands out there, i tried all of those styles on and could never -- you know, they never fit my body. i thought, why not create a jean with that style, with those styling, with the premium qualities, that fit a woman with a curve? >> when a woman is frustrated and it's your wife, you as the
9:43 pm
husband get that frustration. i can't find a pair of jeans. i didn't -- they don't fit me. either they don't fit me in my rear or my thighs or whatever, and i kept saying do something about it. >> yes. >> keep in mind, traditional jeans at macy's had fitted you, you wouldn't have been attracted to her in the first place. >> thank you. >> it was her that brought you over. >> yes, sir. >> at that party, and now worrying about what to put on. >> yes. >> go online, you have a website? >> yes. by kik johnson dot com. >> thanks for being leer. see y'all later. >> we're happy you're back on tv. >> thank you, man. even if it's one night keeping the chair warm for piers, it feels real good. coming up, a moment i'll never forget. bill clinton played the sax on my old show, and it's a moment that kind of changed politics. we'll be right back. oh! an airline has planes... and people. and the planes can seem the same
9:44 pm
so, it comes down to the people. because, bad weather the price of oil those are every airlines reality. and solutions won't come from 500 tons of metal and a paint job. they'll come from people. delta people. who made us one of the biggest airlines in the world. and then decided that wasn't enough.
9:45 pm
ttd#: 1-800-345-2550 let's talk about the cookie-cutter retirement advice ttd#: 1-800-345-2550 you get at some places. ttd#: 1-800-345-2550 they say you have to do this, have that, invest here ttd#: 1-800-345-2550 ttd#: 1-800-345-2550 you know what? ttd#: 1-800-345-2550 you can't create a retirement plan based on ttd#: 1-800-345-2550 a predetermined script. ttd#: 1-800-345-2550 to understand you and your goals... ttd#: 1-800-345-2550 ...so together we can find real-life answers for your ttd#: 1-800-345-2550 real-life retirement. ttd#: 1-800-345-2550 talk to chuck ttd#: 1-800-345-2550 and let's write a script based on your life story. ttd#: 1-800-345-2550 your hair mixes with pollen and dust in the air.
9:46 pm
i get congested. my eyes itch. i have to banish you to the garden. but now, with zyrtec-d®, i have the proven allergy relief of zyrtec®, plus a powerful decongestant. ♪ i can breath freer with zyrtec-d®. so i'll race you to our favorite chair. i might even let you win. zyrtec-d® lets me breath easier, so i can love the air. [ male announcer ] zyrtec-d®. behind the pharmacy counter. no prescription needed. [ male announcer ] zyrtec-d®. behind the pharmacy counter. when my tempur-pedic moves. [ male announcer ] why not talk to someone who owns an adjustable version of the most highly recommended bed in america? ask me about my tempur advanced ergo. goes up. goes up. ask me what it's like to get a massage anytime you want. goes down. goes down. [ male announcer ] tempur-pedic brand owners are more satisfied than owners of any traditional mattress brand. ergonomics. [ male announcer ] tempur-pedic. the most highly recommended bed in america. it's the perfect time to save up to $300 on select mattress sets. when it comes to home insurance, surprises can be a little scary.
9:47 pm
and a little costly. that's why the best agents present their clients with a lot of options. because when it comes to what's covered and what's not, nobody likes surprises. [ click ] [ chuckles ] we totally thought -- [ all scream ] obscure space junk falling from the sky? we cover that. moving on. aah, aah, aah, aah. [ male announcer ] we are insurance. ♪ we are farmers ♪ bum, ba-da-bum, bum, bum, bum ♪ now i want to go way back to 1992. the year of nirvana's "never mind" number one on the u.s. billboard charts. sinead o'connor stirred up by ripping up a picture of the pope on "saturday night live" and before all this happened, this happened on my show. ♪
9:48 pm
♪ >> that was then, arkansas governor bill clinton belting out a sober rendition of "heartbreak hotel" that changed the presidential campaign forever. he played the sax, and people say it changed things forever, but i don't want to be the one saying that. so i got mr. john king, cnn's john king here. we're going to talk about that memorable time, and john if you're there, let's discuss how it changed things. do you think it changed politics forever? >> without a doubt it changed politics forever. remember, clinton was in a lot of trouble that year. a lot of character questions. a fascinating nurnl race, ross perot was a factor. the challenge? number one for bill clinton to
9:49 pm
expand the definition of his personality with a lot of character questions and other questions whether this guy from arkansas was ready to do this. reach out, get new voters. perot was bringing new voters. the seed in the new television age of getting outside the traditional news programs and taking a risk. taking a risk, arsenio. good politicians take a risk. you remember, i was a print reporter at the time covering that campaign. a lot of people criticized him, said this is not presidential. he wont election. by definition it worked. >> yeah. i took a lot of criticism. people said that it wasn't a dignified move for a president. i almost look back at it and think that clinton's people. ahead of the curve. don't you think so? >> well, let me answer the question, then i have one for you. ahead of the curve? willing to take risks. a guy very comfortable with himself. look at any successful politician.
9:50 pm
there's a fine line between confident and cocky, but bill clinton was confident. remember how many timed knocked down in the campaign. most of my bosses thought he was done had to get out of the campaign. he kept at it, kept trying and willing to stay at it and had a team, people were getting information in different ways. you could think outside the box. my question to you, how did you pull it off? >> well, at that time, because he was a governor, i didn't really see the magnitude of what could happen. i tried to book a governor. when he said yes i asked him to wear my tie. when he said yes, i asked him to wear my sunglasses. when he said yes, i said, would you play saxophone? i kept asking for things and learned to never assume there will about no, because there might be a yes. back to you, again. we're interviewing each other, buddy. let's talk about specific things that the public can see right now that affect it? the first thing i think about is
9:51 pm
al green. the al green song that obama sang. snt i'm so in love with you ♪ ♪ for amber waves of grain ♪ for purple mountains majesty above the fruited ♪ >> john, we have gone crazy. >> i take it back, get them to stop. look, i think if we see a romney/obama matchup, the choice in november will be who do the voters trust the most on the economy, but we can say right now as the judges of arsenio hall idol, the president has a belter voice, and part of this is if you have the talent, use
9:52 pm
it, and don't be afraid to think outside of the box, don't be afraid if you have a talent, to use it. it's a humbling process. when a guy is comfortable, you sing a little bit, maybe you dance a little bit. when people pick a president, they want to know, are you going to raise or cut my taxes. how does he feel about the war in afghanistan. what is his education policy? but you also, the old joke is, you invite this person into your living room every night. every night, so you want to know about them. what do they listen to on their ipod, what do they like outside, the sports they like? it's part of the process, is it the most important thing? no, but people want to know these things. >> john, i tried to bring fun into politics for my audience. but even though we have come that route, it seems to be getting mean now with the gop situation. why is politics so mean this year?
9:53 pm
>> the country is fractured and the republican party at the moment is frared into a number of groups. the republican party hasn't had a leader since george w. bush, so the party is struggling. it's in an identity crisis. it's beyond the candidates. it is bernl. part of that is because of the splintering of the business. one of the good things is people aren't afraid to go on the arsenio hall show, but one of the bad things is it's valuable in some ways, but the blogosphere, the internet gets nasty, and some of the candidates get tired and they get nasty and person. >> i'm a fan back then, a fan now. thank you for being here and helping me out. >> my pleasure, my friend. take care. >> up next, "only in america" march madness and the politics of those brackets.
9:54 pm
9:55 pm
nepal, when parents have been arrested by the police, some children go to prison with the parent. the first time i visited the jail, i saw small girls who just grabbed my shawl, and she gave me a smile. it was really hard for me to forget that. my name is pushpa, and my mission is to make sure that no child grows up behind prison walls. in 2005, i started a daycare where the children can come out of the jail in the morning and go back in the afternoon. we have children who are from 2 to 4, they have coloring,
9:56 pm
reading, five days a week. we started in 2007 mostly over 3 years old. i don't get a day off, but i never get tired. it's a big family. with lots and lots of love. when i started this organization, i was 21 years old. people thought i was crazy, but this is what i wanted in my life. i'm giving them what a normal child should have. i want to fulfill all their dreams. what is that? it's you!
9:57 pm
it's me? alright emma, i know it's not your favorite but it's time for your medicine, okay? you ready? one, two, three. [ both ] ♪ emma, emma bo-bemma ♪ banana-fana-fo-femma ♪ fee-fi-fo-femma ♪ em-ma very good sweety, how do you feel? good. yeah? you did a really good job, okay? [ female announcer ] to nurses everywhere, thank you, from johnson & johnson. [ female announcer ] to nurses everywhere, we want to protect the house. right. but... home security systems can be really expensive. to save money, we actually just adopted a rescue panther. i think i'm goin-... shhh!
9:58 pm
we find that we don't need to sleep that much. there's an easier way to save. geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more. here's a chance to create jobs in america. oil sands projects, like kearl, and the keystone pipeline will provide secure and reliable energy to the united states. over the coming years, projects like these could create more than half a million jobs in the us alone. from the canadian border, through the mid west, to the gulf coast. benefiting hundreds of thousands of families throughout the country. this is just what our economy needs right now. but not how we get there. because in this business, there are no straight lines. only the twists and turns of an unpredictable industry. so the eighty-thousand employees at delta... must anticipate the unexpected. and never let the rules overrule common sense. this is how we tame the unwieldiness of air travel,
9:59 pm
until it's not just lines you see... it's the world. piers ends each night with his only in america segment. it's his take on life in the u.s. right now, it's all about march madness. it's on and it's cracking and there's nothing you can do about it. the games, the noise, the nerves who are calculating the percentage of every missed jump shot. piers, the uk goes crazy over soccer, but this time of year, nothing comes close to b-ball in the states. with the tournament comes the bracket. bracketology, and everyone has their picks from that sheet of paper. the weird guy who sweats in your office, the grandmas at the book club, even folks who think orangemen is the newest tanning
left
right